Hi! I’m Jo Milmine.
In August 2012, I became the voice of the Shinybees Podcast, a podcast for those who like their knitting, yarn and comedy in equally large measures.
On really good days, I get to knit in the pub, with a real ale or a nice gin. Very occasionally, I’m a pantomime cat.
Need to know more? Here's five things you probably don't know about me...
- The name ‘Shinybees’ comes from my Scottish Granny. It was one of her nicknames for me as a child.
- I could fly a plane before I could drive a car.
- I’ve a weakness for South African merino and a well-documented love affair with self striping yarns.
- I always wanted to be on the Crystal Maze Christmas kids edition. Sadly, I never got to wear one of those funky shell suits, but I’m all over applying as an adult when they do the reboot.
- One day, I’m going to dye a range of yarns inspired by my favourite film: Zoolander.
About the Podcast
Imagine you’re at the pub, knitting and gin on the table and having a laugh with a bunch of knitty pals. That’s the promise of this podcast, which pinballs from serious social issues to dogs in comedy knitwear, the relative benefits of tinsel and eyelash yarn and everywhere in between.
Meet some of your favourite designers and dyers in the interviews, learn new tips and tricks to improve your knitting or enjoy the best funny patterns Ravelry has to offer in this weekly show.
News, reviews, funny stories and sharing of knitting scenes from around the world complete the show lineup.
- Great podcast!August 25, 2020 by Betsy imthequeenbee from United States
I discovered this podcast recently, and I absolutely love it. I decided to start from the beginning, listening to at least one episode per day while knitting or spinning. I especially enjoy the interviews, and I have to say it’s inspiring to hear how various people in the fiber industry got started and advice they may have for anyone considering jumping in.
- Jo is the best!August 14, 2020 by ahlalas from United Kingdom
Jo is the friend you’d want to meet in the pub, coffee shop, hug in a pre and post covid world. She is real, funny, honest and just gets it. I’ve been a long time listener and never written a review I am ashamed to say. Her podcasts are just great. Listen and you won’t regret it. Thanks for the hard work my friend! x
- Humour and Yarn in Equal MeasureJuly 31, 2020 by imminent metaphor from Canada
I’ve been listening to “ my friend” Jo for a few years now and her episodes during the pandemic have been uplifting, enlightening and touched my heart. Thanks for the honest take on this crazy time we’re in
- Worth a listen!January 27, 2020 by sockloverbev from Canada
Hahaha got a laugh about the yoga segment! Have felt that way myself Pleasant voice and always enjoy a listen.
- Wonderful CompanySeptember 3, 2019 by DrElbyKnits from Australia
I came upon Jo’s podcast earlier this year, and have just finished listening to all the episodes... loved that I could join the journey along the way. I was made aware of so much that has inspired and enriched my knitting... I have many new patterns and skeins, people to follow and skills. Jo is good-natured company, can’t wait for more episodes!